Friday, December 21, 2012

Afraid of Change?



Why do we worry so much about what could go wrong if we try something new, step out of our comfort zone, or take a risk?

So many times when I've thought about losing weight, my mind seemed to jerk the wheel directly towards fear and negative "what if's".  I would think things like...

"What if I lose a bunch of weight and get stretch marks and loose skin?"
"What if it's too hard to work out and maintain a commitment to the gym?"
"What if I have to give up the foods I enjoy to keep the weight off?"
"What if start doing well but then fail like I have so many times before?"

...and the list goes on and on.  Do you see the toxicity of dwelling on those kinds of thoughts?  There's nothing good that comes from allowing them to take up too much time and space in your mind.  When Satan bombards you with junk like that, DEFEND YOURSELF!  FIGHT BACK!  TAKE A STAND!


THIS IS YOUR LIFE.


You can talk back to those thoughts!

"What if I lose a bunch of weight and get stretch marks and loose skin?"
"It's true, I'll probably have stretch marks and some loose skin, but what if I lose a bunch of weight and I feel better, gain confidence, find that my health improves, and I can shop in any store I want - not only stores that have clothes for my plus size?"

"What if it's too hard to work out and maintain a commitment to the gym?"
"I obviously won't be able to run a mile and do 100 push-ups the day I join the gym, but my dream is too important to me so I can find the patience to start slow and work my way to more reps and longer runs.  I can find things I enjoy doing at the gym - or elsewhere - and change it up, it won't feel like a burden - but I'll feel accomplished as I do a little more each time and see the weight come off!"

"What if I have to give up the foods I enjoy to keep the weight off?"
"I will need to make healthier choices, that's a given.  But I can enjoy small portions of those other foods in moderation, eating slowly to focus on how good it is rather than woofing it down before I realize what happened.  What if I begin to appreciate those times and start to love what eating healthy does for me?  What if begin to crave healthy foods and look at them as fuel, rather than comfort?"

"What if start doing well but then fail like I have so many times before?"
"What if focusing on my dream propells me to make it come true?  What if I start climbing my pile of trash (those mistakes from the past) and become successful?  What if I am able to use my story of overcoming to help others overcome?  WHAT IF I SHOW THE DEVIL HE CAN'T MAKE ME DO ANYTHING?"


4 comments:

  1. great post....i agree the best thing you can do is fight back...you are worth it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock on, Jason - I appreciate the encouragement!!!!

      Delete