While at the grocery store this weekend I glanced at the bottled teas and spotted the one I mentioned in my "Boost Your Metabolism" post last week. I still couldn't believe what I read on the label. My husband was quite surprised as well.
The product is Gold Peak Tea - Green Tea, made by the Coca-Cola Company.
In one serving there are:180 calories
50 mg of sodium
45 grams of carbohydrates
45 grams of sugars
140 mg of sodium
35 grams of carbohydrates
30 grams of sugars
Yikes! Do you really want to drink a green tea that contains more carbs and sugars than a Snickers bar? I'll pass.
My advice? Be smart and skip the Gold Peak Tea (or any bottled green tea with numbers like that), unless you can find one with a nutrition label comparable to the one below!
In one serving there are:
0 mg of sodium
0 grams of carbohydrates
0 grams of sugars
I make this tea hot and add two Splenda (you could add Stevia - or whatever sweetener your prefer). Then, I fill a cup with ice and turn it into a flavored ice tea explosion! It's really darn good and Lipton makes a nice variety of flavors I can't wait to try. There are many other great brands of tea available and, at such low costs, I plan to try several!
While researching, I found a great article on Squidoo.com about green tea and is lists many more benefits of drinking it! Check these out:
Green tea can benefit in several ways.
- Treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- Treatment and prevention of cancer.
- Helps in stopping Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
- It is used in raising metabolism and increasing fat oxidation.
- Reduces heart diseases and attacks.
- Reduces the level of cholesterol in blood, improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
- Used in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular diseases.
- It is used to treat impaired immune function.
- Keep your teeth healthy and kills bacteria which causes the dental plaque.
- Treatment and prevention of skin cancer.
- Regular consumption of green tea can effectively delay symptoms of aging.
- The people who take green tea regularly do not fall prey to common viral & bacterial infections easily.
- Green tea increases stamina and boost endurance.
- Aiding in proper digestion
- Green tea increases hydration through the consumption of more water.
- Effective in the treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- Reduces and prevents acne. Drink a cup of green tea regularly and you will not have acne problems.
- Green tea reduces risk of thrombosis, arterial sclerosis, cerebral strokes etc.
- It reduces the risk of esophageal cancer.
- Green tea has certain vitamins that prevent abnormal formation of blood clotting in the wounds.
One word of caution... drinking more than 6 cups a day can cause palpitations (irregular heart beating) and shakiness due to caffeine overdose. I've already noticed this when drinking more than 3 cups. Experts recommend 3 cups of green tea per day to gain the weight loss and other benefits!