Tuesday, November 13, 2012

And I Ran



To date, I've never been a "runner".  It's never looked fun to me, it just seems painful, and I've never really desired to run for fitness. 

In high school (yep, we're headed down memory lane again) I attempted to run track for a couple of years.  I struggled with exercise-induced asthma and would break out into full-blown attacks 3/4 of the way around the track.  I laid my "track career" to rest after the second season and three trips to the emergency room. 

Was I a quitter?  Well, I don't see it that way.  I just decided to stick to things I loved and did well, like show choir and flag corp.  Those were fun for me and I was passionate about them!

Okay.  Snap back to reality!

I committed to God to attend our church's Re-connect Life Conference (revival) this week from Sunday morning through this Wednesday night.  I knew it would be a challenge with us living about 80 miles round-trip from church and with gas over $3.00 a gallon (thankfully it's on the "low end" right now), but I knew it would be worth it.  And it has been!  I also committed to hit the gym before each service.  So far, so good!  I'm two for two with two to go!

Not only do I want to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, but I want to continue growing closer in my relationship with God.  I feel the closer I get to Him and the more I focus on the dreams He's given me, the more I'll be able to do to further His kingdom!




It's been a month since I've joined the gym.  I've gone 15 times in those 30 days.  I feel really accomplished by that, considering I was sick twice!  I've notice that the good-ole exercised induced-asthma is back and I've been wheezing, coughing, and using my inhaler several times a day. 

But this time, it's not stopping me.

You know why?  I'm connected to my dream!  I'm passionate about making this change and making it last!  I don't want to settle for a lazy, unproductive, unfruitful life.  I want to become the best version of myself to help others and bring honor to God by treating this body as a temple!  I know my limits.  I won't risk not being able to breathe and I know when to slow down, but I'm stickin' with it!

So I pushed myself last night.  I increased the incline and speed on the treadmill.  I was walking so darn fast I thought "what if I tried to turn this walk into a run?"  So I did.  I started running (said in your best Forrest Gump voice)!  I couldn't believe it! 

I.
WAS.
RUNNING!!!!! 

 

It was a serious victory for me - with where I am now - to have run for just over 3 minutes.  You have to start somewhere.  The next time I'll push myself to 4, maybe 5 minutes.  But I RAN, y'all! 

Celebrate your victories, even the small ones no one else would care about.  You're changing your life.  You're working on YOU!  Don't worry about what others might thing - this is your journey and these are your dreams.  Make yourself proud!  Make your momma and daddy proud!  Make it happen!


BONUS
For those of you who instantly started singing "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls after reading my title, you're welcome!    :)


8 comments:

  1. Omgsh!!! Wowser! Wow. Really! What are the chances?!?! Wow. I luv our God! I luv u!!! Ty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! Pony tail swingin' in the wind!!!! I love you, too!!

      Delete
  2. Great Job! I used to be a non runner too but then something just clicked in me one day and like you I started just a couple minutes at a time. I am by far no marathon runner, 30 minutes is about my limit. But when I think how I can do that these days it brings a huge smile to my face. Keep it Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's SUPER encouraging, Haley!! I know you have to start somewhere. Sometimes just getting past the initial feelings of fear and doubt is a huge victory. If I can run for 3 minutes, what else am I capable of? Some day I'll run well over 3 minutes!

      Thanks for the encouragement!! (I needed it!)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post! Very real, very inspiring! I would love to mention it on my blog and link to you if that is okay? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly can... that would be AWESOME!!!! Thank you!

      Delete