Monday, October 15, 2012

I Was Courageous


Every journey has its mountains and valleys.  That's just the way life works.  We all go through adversity and victories.  We all do things to make ourselves proud and we do things we regret.  But our success depends on how well we rise after falling.

Have you noticed your dream seems more distant when you're holding on to the guilt you feel about those "mess-ups"?  You start feeling defeated, realizing how many times you've been here before, and you just want to give up.  You may even tell yourself things like: "everything's fine the way it is", "my family will still love me if I don't lose weight", "there are people much more unhealthy than me", and "maybe my dream is out of reach... maybe this dream was meant for someone else".  

Do you recognize the lies from Satan?  He wants us to be miserable, unhealthy, insecure, inferior, and defeated.  He will tempt us and test us.  He wants to crush your dreams.  But why should we allow that?  Remember, God placed this dream on your heart and He wants to help you make it your reality!  Of course the enemy would want to stop you!  If you're feeling good about yourself, feeling healthy, moving, not comparing yourself with others, focused on God and seeking His direction, you're much more likely to do good things to further His Kingdom!  We can't do that effectively when we're holding on to the past.  Those burdens are heavy.  They weigh us down and wear us out.

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have One who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet He did not sin.  Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."  Hebrews 4:15-16


I'll let you in on something about my journey (and it shouldn't surprise you).  Satan's been bombarding me these past two months and trying to crush my dreams.  He's been telling me an assortment of lies, including the ones above.  I've tried not to believe them.  I've tried to ignore them.  Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't.  I've been very aware of God's voice and the devil's schemes.  One thing is certain; it always worked when I asked God for help!

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."  1 Peter 5:8

Since my surgery on August 1, I stopped logging my food for a while, I overate and indulged when I shouldn't have, my physical activity was really low, I gained weight, I started comparing myself to others again, I felt defeated and afraid, and I doubted my dreams. 

But one thing I didn't do was give up.  

I held onto even the smallest bit of hope for my dream to come true and it's kept me from giving up altogether.  I looked at the setback as a delay in my journey... not a total failure.  I held on to the feeling that losing weight and maintaining good health could really happen for me.  I felt certain I would NOT let the enemy crush my dream or steal my joy!  Even in the midst of doing all those things I wish I hadn't done, I still envisioned myself making my dream come true.  I saw those bad decisions as small setbacks.  I was constantly searching for what I needed to learn from these mistakes while in this valley.

I was courageous.  I am an overcomer.



No comments:

Post a Comment