Monday, October 1, 2012

Childhood Flashback

  
In the waiting room at the doctor's office today was a flat screen, high definition television showing the classic animation 'Cinderella'.  It's been many years since I've seen the movie from start to finish, but I used to love it as a little girl.  I was surprised by all the memories that came rushing back as we watched.

What surprised me more was how I felt when I heard the song "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes".  As a child I didn't think about dreams the way I do now.  Back then, dreams only happened overnight while I was asleep and they were usually bad ones, sparked by watching Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video (against my parent's wishes and knowledge... they found out years later) or listening to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" (it always scared me... especially when "the demons played the fiddles".)

Today I listened as Cinderella sang these words and I saw them in a new way...

"A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep
In dreams you lose your heartaches
Whatever you wish for, you keep
Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling thru
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
the dream that you wish will come true"


HOW BEAUTIFUL!

Who knew the dreamers at Disney in 1950 were that tuned into how important our dreams really are to us?  (It seems relatively new to me!)  They were spreading the message of dreaming through a children's cartoon and it stands the test of time.  My favorite line, the one that gives me hope, is "No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true."

It reminds me that it doesn't matter how bad your adversity is, your dreams are still inside you.  They never leave your heart.  You have to keep believing in them, looking towards the future, and holding onto hope.  It takes work and determination but in the end it's always worth it!

I WILL BE HEALTHY!
I WILL LOSE WEIGHT!
SOMEDAY I'LL LOOK AT FOOD AS FUEL!
SOMEDAY I WON'T TURN TO FOOD FOR COMFORT!
SOMEDAY I'LL WEAR DRESSES WITH BOOTS!
SOMEDAY I'LL SHOP IN STORES I LIKE, NOT STORES THAT JUST CARRY MY SIZE!

I WON'T GIVE UP ON MY DREAMS!


No comments:

Post a Comment