Sunday, July 22, 2012

Prayer Changes Everything



My dad's sermon at church this morning impacted me in such a mighty way.  He studied and prepared all week for the message he planned to deliver.  Then, during the middle of our praise team practice, God changed his direction.  And I understand why!  If it didn't speak to anyone else, it spoke to me. 

We opened to Matthew 6 and began reflecting on how we come to understand God's will through prayer and a relationship with Him.   When we pray or ask others to pray with us - or on our behalf, we should never do it to gain attention but to earnestly seek God's voice. 

When we come to Him alone in prayer, God wants us humbled and in a quiet place, free from distractions.  It is then our focus will shift from ourselves to God, and we'll begin to sense His grace.  We should never tell Him what we need, but instead ask Him to show us His will and ask Him to be the light to guide our path.  After all, He knows better than us what we need!  It's a relationship that involves constant communication, patience, understanding, honesty, love, and commitment. 

When you call, He will answer.



Prayers don't have to be extravagant in wording.  Rather, they can be simple and should always be from the heart.  The Lord's Prayer (Matthew 9-13) is a model prayer for us. 

If I'm being honest, The Lord's Prayer never meant much to me before I heard the song 'Manifesto' from The City Harmonic.  It melted my heart.  It broke me down.  It drew me into God's presence and brought me to His thrown, the way The Lord's Prayer was meant to be lifted.  It totally means something different to me now.


Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

I want to stop being so anxious about things I can't control and instead hand them over to God without question.  I want to forgive others the way God continuously forgives me when I fail Him.  I want to ask Him to help me resist the temptations I face daily in my journey and instead do things which will bring honor and glory to Him. 

"I lift these desires to You tonight, Father, and thank You for changing Dad's prepared message to the one you knew I needed to hear to help me become closer to You.  In Your name I pray, amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment