Monday, April 2, 2012

The DMV = My Dreams Coming True!


My husband and I had the day off today and what beautiful weather for it!  Before we could get out there and really enjoy it, there was one lingering chore I had to face... the dreaded Department of Motor Vehicles.  My drivers license expired today and renewal was upon me. 

Everyone in America who's been there knows the feelings of fear and dread that accompany your visits to the DMV.  (Note: I really admire the DMV employees and request they all get a significant pay increase for the grouchiness they have to endure on a daily basis!)  It's certainly not how you want to spend even a second of your vacation day!  But I fixed my hair and makeup and away we went. 

As we arrived in the parking lot we could see a ton of people sitting in the waiting area.  *Sigh*  We proceeded to make our way to the door and walked into a room of 37 people waiting to be serviced.  I pulled number 53 and we stood against the wall to wait patiently, watching the numbers increase... beginning at 39.  Oh, and did I mention it's the first business day of the month, which is never the ideal time to visit?


One by one I had to block the negative, pessimistic, complaining, vulgar people who also didn't want to be there.  It was difficult.  It nearly sucked the joy and happiness right out of me.  But I wouldn't allow that!  I was about to take a picture that I dreaded taking and would have to live with for the next six years, so I didn't want to look like I'd been sucking lemons for an hour!

"Now serving number 53!"  FINALLY!  I approached the desk, handed over all the required documents, passed the eye test & traffic sign test, paid my fee, signed by the "X", and headed toward the camera.  And just like that, the picture was captured.


I waited for five minutes until the DMV associate called my name.  He handed me my new drivers license and... I WAS THRILLED!  My picture was great and I looked so much thinner and healthier than my previous license photo... and ten times better than my passport photo! 

I felt fantastic the rest of the day!  I started to see a new reflection in the mirror.  I found some lost self-confidence.  And best of all, I saw my dream coming true!

2 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!!! Congrats! SO happy for you girlfriend! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! Thanks, Tammy!!! Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete