Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday Wow Factor!



Week 9 Start date: 12/28/11
Initial weight:
218
Current weight:
201
This week's loss
: 0 pounds

Last week's goals: Maintain control while in Little Rock, work out 4 to 6 times between now and next week, stay under caloric budget for the week, and work HARD to overcome feelings of defeat, insecurity, and self-negativity.

What went well:  Even though I went over my weekly caloric budget and didn't work out one time, I didn't gain any weight!   I had good days where I began the act of being my own cheerleader, which literally really "pumped me up".  People are beginning to notice my weight loss and give me compliments, which is so nice.  It's great with others can finally tell and the hard work is paying off!  I helped inspire and motivate others by sharing my struggles on my
blog.

Challenges: Week 9 was my most challenging week so far.  I struggled to meet most of my goals.  I maintained control while in Little Rock - for the most part - but didn't work out once, went over my weekly budget by almost 500 calories, and struggled again with insecurity, self-consciousness, and feelings of defeat and being overwhelmed.  I wanted to cry and kick and scream, frankly.  I was usually able to talk myself out of letting it defeat me, but there were times I really thought about losing it.  


Two road trips in a row led me to McDonald's several times.  While it's not "healthy" food, I only ordered a cheeseburger and medium fry with water every time (vs. the two cheeseburger meal and large fry with a hot fudge sundae I used to get on a weekly basis...  it just sounds GROSS to me now!!)

I'm very frustrated with the barriers I keep facing with trying to have a Zumba class offered to employees at work.  Seriously, how difficult does it have to be?  I truly felt so angry yesterday that, for a second, I just wanted to scrap the dream altogether.  The excuses I keep receiving are ridiculous.  


But after I cooled off, I turned the anger into fuel.  NO ONE is going to get in the way of this dream!  Those excuses are lame and it's clear they aren't committed enough to support me in making my dream a reality.  So, I no longer need their "assistance".  I'll find another way.  

When God closes one door, He opens another.  



There.  It's done.  And my dream still lives!  AND, when I'm fit and healthy and happy, I can feel great that I didn't let those barriers get in my way.  YEE HAW!

(Oh, and here's the perfect cheer for this..  "You've gotta fight to win!")

This week's goals: Stop making excuses for not working out, work out 4 times between now and next week, stay under caloric budget for the week, and work HARD to overcome feelings of defeat, insecurity, and self-negativity.

Total lost so far: 17 pounds!

3 comments:

  1. You are right! Stop making excuses and start doing! Think about the energy you're expending and by fighting yourself. I am so proud! Love this post! Love you energy! I've started working out again too...and after three weeks of struggling I can start to feel the difference too. I even got tough and bought some weight lifting gloves on clearance. ;0) Oh well...gotta have those soft silky hands right? LOL
    Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!!! Now you can beef up and get even more ripped! :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on cheering for yourself for NOT gaining weight after traveling for 2 weeks in a row!!!!! I love how you didn't get down and simply told yourself "Yeah me!" :-) I know you were feeling a little down about going over your calorie budget for the week, but great rebound!!!!!
    Traveling is simply the bane of my weight loss existence!!! Since Greg and I travel so much, I feel the pain of your last two weekends!!! I have already been "rehearshing" my plans for some upcoming weekends away from home. The drive through is really tough! Greg and I have made a committment to each other though, NO MORE FAST FOOD! It simply has to be that way for us. It is getting to the point that the idea of fast food is even gross to me! I simply do not want it or crave it like I did. All those raw veggies with my lunch sandwich are finally paying off! LOL!!!

    Can I offer a suggestion on exercise? This has been a particularly challenging part of my journey. This is what has worked for me over the past 4 months. In November, I joined a program at work called "Maintain, Don't Gain" for the holidays. The goal is simply to NOT gain weight over the holiday season. I wanted to focus on incorporating exercise into my routine to help balance out some of the food intake. Stephaine, the life coach I began seeing, suggested that I commit to ONE workout a week for in the beginning. She said that by setting your "number of workouts" greater than one or two in the beginning would only set you up for failure. She explained that until exercise is a HABIT, it is going to be a conscious and sometimes difficult effort and you have to have something to celebrate EVERY week until you become ingrained with this new habit. This is what I did. I committed to doing ONE cardio workout every week. I added my Lunar Stretch class in December and this was my 2nd workout per week, but was a BONUS b/c I was still focusing on my committment to ONE cardio workout per week. This is what I did for December. TWO workouts a week, one cardio and the other my Lunar Stretch class. In January, I decided to commit to TWO workouts a week (one cardio and one Lunar Stretch class) and I added a Cardiolates class (mix of cardio and pilates) to my routine, as my BONUS workout. In February, I added 2 strength training classes a week. I am now up to 4 COMMITTED workouts a week (one cardio, one Lunar Stretch, two strength). For March, I am continuing Cardiolates and I have added Jazzercise as a cardio option and my goal is 6 workouts a week (3 cardio, 2 strength and 1 stretching/yoga) by the end of April.
    Each week I do more than 4 workouts is a BONUS! I am now committed to 4 workouts, but each additional workout is a bonus! I am keeping a chart of my bonus workouts and when I reach 10, I get a new pair of workout/yoga pants. The next 10 will be something else (haven't decided yet!).

    I think if you give yourself permission to committ to ONE workout per week and keep track of your BONUS workouts, you might be better able to celebrate your exercise success! Set yourself up to succeed first! I know how disheartening it can be be not reach your goals and start to feed into that "black hole" of self negativity and critism, but Stephanie has helped me figure out that I need to re-frame and re-define my definition of success. Making exercise a priority and not finding excuses to not do it is TOUGH! Believe me I KNOW IT! I am the Queen of NO EXERCISE excuses!!!!
    Great Wednesday WOW factor!!!!
    Hang tough!!
    Love and hugs!!
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete