Monday, February 13, 2012

This Year I Will


Check out the new book I bought (on sale) this weekend!  It's great.  And it's just what I need right now, a perfect accessory to my Dare to Dream program at work!

It's called 'This Year I Will' by M.J. Ryan.

If you've ever broken a resolution, given up on a diet, or let your dreams fall by the wayside, you should read this book.  It's all about helping you change habits, keep resolutions, and make your dreams come true!

If you're familiar with 'Influencer: The Power to Change Anything', this is very similar.  And, it's kind of the next step to applying the principals in 'The Dream Manager'.  Those two books led to the major perspective change in my life at the end of 2011.  I highly recommend them.

In 'This Year I Will' the author lists these ten tips for making a change.  The book goes into more detail, of course, but they're pretty straight-forward:
  1. Translate vague desires (I must lose weight) into concrete, achievable goals (I will lose five pounds this month)
  2. Make your goal non-negotiable
  3. Write down your typical excuses and create strategies for dealing with them
  4. Make your commitment to change part of your everyday routine, and soon you won't even need to think about it
  5. Goals should be measurable, so monitor your progress in writing
  6. Look at how far you've come, not at how far you have to left to go
  7. Take it one choice at a time
  8. Find role models
  9. To cement a new habit, teach it to someone else
  10. When (not if) you mess up or forget, don't collapse into shame or guilt; try again with greater wisdom for having faltered.
When I read these I was surprised that I'm already doing every one of them, and then some.  And I know it's attributing to my success!  I belive in you.  I know that if I can do it, you absolutely can, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment