Sunday, February 19, 2012

Family Friendly Mardi Gras Parade


Today was a very, VERY busy day loaded with fun!  It started with a terrific church service at Brookwood Baptist Church, followed by a fast lunch, and then off to the Krewe of Highland Mardi Gras Parade.  It's a Sunday afternoon, family friendly parade that runs through some beautiful neighborhoods (with no nudity or shenanigans like you'll find in the French Quarter). We caught TONS of beads, cups, Moon Pies (yes, they actually throw Moon Pies!), and other fun novelties! 



It was definitely unlike any parade I've been to before and I cannot WAIT to come back again!


Even Trigger wore some beads (against his will...)!

After the parade ended we headed straight for the Boardwalk for two hours of shopping.  We stopped by the grocery store and finally made it back to the house just after 8:00 to eat pastalaya (jambalaya pasta) and king cake for dinner. 



Shockingly, I was under my caloric limit today!  I did so well with my eating, but I had a difficult time with my self-esteem, falling into the trap of self-criticizing.  I'm trying so hard not to cry and be upset at the fact that I've lost 18 pounds and yet I'm still not happy with how I look in pictures.  I felt so much bigger than the other women at the parade.  It was a constant fight to keep myself from saying mean things in my head.  Even as I write this, I'm feeling like I want to cry. 

However, I HAVE to focus on the positives; I've lost 18 pounds in seven and a half weeks, I bought an XL sweatshirt this weekend that was actually BIG on me, my jeans are becoming too big, I continue to do great day after day with my caloric intake, and even though I didn't work out to an aerobic DVD this weekend, I've done a ton of walking and have kept physically active. 

The bottom line: I won't give up hope, I won't let these barriers get me down, and I won't give up on my dream!

4 comments:

  1. Chrissy, do you ever listen to the Jillian Michaels podcasts? I can't remember if I have asked you about them. They are motivational on the emotional side as well as physical side. Let me know if you listen to them and what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I sooooooooooo will now!! I'm open to anything that will lift my spirits. Thanks a mill, Missy!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I do mental tricks to combat the negative thoughts. I'll ask myself to imagine what it would be like to not have two functioning arms and hands, or legs and feet. I just do this once in a while to remind myself that if I lost exactly what I have today, would I regret it? Then I try to do something that makes me feel sexy... a bath with super awesome new bath salts from the Lush store, or I go out of my way to find a soft cozy blanket or sweater, and some dark organic chocolate. Any way that I can to let go of thinking bad about myself. Sometimes a quiet moment alone where I play the "Wouldn't it be wonderful game".. and I mentally think of all the things in the world that would be wonderful if.... And by the time I'm done with that, sometimes it's just not as bad. I know exactly how difficult it can be. The mind can trap a thought. But we can learn to let it free. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, what GREAT ideas!!!!! I love taking baths SO MUCH but it always involves me doing deep cleaning before each one as our tub is used by a fourteen year old baseball playing boy!!! Heck, it's usually worth it! I love the negative thought "combatting". I love focusing on the positive and I plan to try these new methods when I'm struggling inside (because I bet I will).

      Thank you so much for your comments and for the encouragement!! BIG HUGS!

      Delete